Monday, February 22, 2010

Lunch time feminist rant

In my noontime internet puttering, I came across a fantastic, and depressing article on male-dominated children's entertainment. It turns out that there are three male characters for every female character in children's movies, and 87% of narrators are male. I realize that cartoons like Jem and the Holograms and She-Ra: Princess of Power were really just vehicles to sell plastic toys, but at least they featured women doing things. For goodness sake, Jerrica Benton ran an orphanage on top of having a secret identity as the popular recording star, Jem. Is it any surprise that I want to be a polymath? Hardly.

In fact, I remember way back that when Card Captor Sakura was imported to the states, it was called Card Captors so as not to alienate the male viewership. Because we all know that girls are inferior and boys won't want to watch a show that features one, right?

A quote from the original article in the Sydney Morning Herald:

Davis argues that young girls (and boys) need to see female characters onscreen, or else they will grow up thinking of females as invisible or unimportant. The institute's motto is: "Kids need to see entertainment where females are valued as much as males."


I would add that we need a society where females are valued as much as males, too.

And this is also why, although I mistrust any philosophy that can fit on a bumper sticker, I'll be post-feminist in the post-patriarchy.

Vanessa Walilko
Eclectic chainmaille jewelry, and the occasional feminist rant

No comments:

Post a Comment