Thursday, February 16, 2012

Business advice: Lean on a friend

I try to do as much as possible on my own. I don't know if that's a result of being a control freak or an only child, but it's my first impulse. The problem with that, as I experience yesterday, is that it's really easy to get overwhelmed, stressed, and potentially sick.

Example: in the past 72 hours I've been confirmed for a second fashion show in March (the first one, put together by the awesome and talented Ladie K Mraz. I also submitted a proposal to Kickstarter that was accepted yesterday. This means that I'll soon be asking for support for my most epic chainmaille project yet.

Thinking about all I have to do (making more designs, writing a compelling project/shooting a video for Kickstarter), sent me right into panic mode. This plus the crazy Chicago weather (cold and damp in February) meant that my allergies were going haywire and I wasn't feeling particularly well.

In the midst of my panic, I made plans to get coffee with a friend of mine. She and I just sat and talked for three hours and it was the best thing I could have done. I feel healthy, re-energized, and excited about everything coming up, not panicked. It's awesome.

Moral of the story: when you're stressed, spend time with a good friend. They'll help you more than you can imagine.



Vanessa Walilko
Handcrafted chainmail jewelry
Chain maille jewelry

2 comments:

  1. This is excellent advice! I find that spending time with good friends is very refreshing and energizing -- especially when there's food involved. ;)

    Asking for support, like you're doing on Kickstarter (I'm so excited about this!!!) is a good thing, too. I'm also the kind of person who likes to do everything herself, but sometimes it's just not possible.

    Good luck shooting the video! I know I'm far away, but if there's anything I can do to help you on any of your epic projects, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said. :-) And congrats about Kickstarter! Can't wait to see what you've got up your maille sleeve!

    ReplyDelete