Sunday, August 10, 2008

Bead Museum Application

I admit it, I'm a procrastinator. I waited long until after the mail deadline for the Bead Museum DC's Celebrating Beads Competition before I even contacted my photographer. Nevertheless, rockstar that he is, Treavor Doherty came through with a photo, despite car trouble.



Dreams of the Fallen is a bead embroidered collar. I couldn't tell you how long it took to complete, though I feel one hundred hours is a good estimate. Dreaming it up, placing stones, beading around the stones, filling in the empty space with beads, lining the collar, adding a back zipper, embroidering occult sigils that I designed or adapted (on the underside of the collar where no one can even see them!)... it was either a labor of love or the labor of an obsessive, I can't tell which anymore. And I still don't think it's done.

But I sent it out with my Bead Museum application, just under the extended deadline, and I'm hoping for the best.

Vanessa Walilko
Handcrafted beaded jewelry, bead embroidery, beaded dragon sculptures, and chainmaille

1 comment: